Sunday, March 8, 2015

Square Peg in a Round Hole

The last few months were definitely a learning experience. Doing my infamous job hopping again, admittedly just trying to find the next best opportunity, I felt like maybe I was moving up just a smidgen. Maybe I did, maybe I didn't. I dunno, in retrospect but hey, live and learn right?

Without badmouthing or bemoaning anything, I had some time to think about things. As you're up and coming out of your early 20's, finishing college, and moving on in life, we're all told the next step is a full time 9-5 with benefits. Then you know you've made it. And you know, most of us, that's a very good next step. I was looking forward to it. I wanted some stability. I wanted insurance (without going into controversies about ACA and all that, hey, insurance is good). I wanted a 401(k) that actually matched. It all sounded like the good and right adult thing to want. It was the transition between a college kid at minimum wage, and adulthood.

I found out I kinda hated it. Not the job itself (ok the job itself, I was starting to get sick of but I'm not going there) necessarily, but the pattern. It wasn't working for me. I missed substitute teaching. I loved those kids, and I loved being able to use it as a chance to live and learn a bit more about where I want to go next in life (bit there in a sec). I also liked the flexibility of part time work. And now, with the ACA and all the resources out there in general, we're paying for benefits on our own. And I frankly prefer that, because now I won't feel like I'm tied to some job I dislike, because of the benefits. Even a 401(k) you can transfer or withdraw.

I feel a lot more free now, on the work front. We're taking care of ourselves, I start a new job Tuesday, I've already gotten back to teaching, and I have time and energy to volunteer. I get to do what I enjoy and frankly, between 2 jobs, I'm not worried about income. I still feel like I have more flexibility with 2 part time jobs than one full time. Time off? Sure! Set my own hours (more or less)? Sounds good! Work shorter shifts? Sounds good to me! And one of the jobs is commissioned base, like what I did at Sears. So, that said, even at part time, it pays better than most retail jobs. Oh and I'm part of management. That makes me happy.

I guess the whole lesson in this is, you have to find what works for YOU. Not do what everyone says you should do. You'd think I'd had that figured out already but, sometimes you gotta live and learn. Social standards, and making a pay check can be 2 very far removed things, and who doesn't want to live comfortably (not necessarily wealthy just comfortable). Living comfortably is more than just a paycheck, though it helps. It's about living life the way you want to. I was feeling like I could have no life outside of work, even if the money was (slightly) better. I want time to do the things I enjoy and live how I want to. I can plan summer trips to Kentucky and Tennessee, I can plan Ikasucon. I can fudge my teaching schedule to my work schedule so they don't conflict. And, I can even look at going back to school and not having to draw it out like I did before. THAT really makes me happy. For only needing a few classes, I didn't want to take forever to do it. Now, I may not have to.

So here's to the next step. May not be my beat all end all, but it's something. I really hope this works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment